What are they?
Blackheads are small bumps that appear on your skin due to clogged hair follicles. They are a mild type of acne that usually form on the face, but they can also appear on the back, chest, neck, arms, and shoulders.
Blackheads show up when excess oil on your skin blocks pores. When the oil and dead skin cells are exposed to air, they turn black.
How to get rid of them:
- Start off by steaming your face for 5-10 minutes. Steaming is great for your skin, it opens up your pores and allows for proper cleansing. (You can do this by boiling some water in a pot then cover your head with a towel in order to direct the steam to your face).
- Once your pores are open, wash your face with a gentle cleanser or use the oil cleansing method.
- If your skin texture is rough make sure your exfoliate GENTLY once a week with a homemade scrub of sugar, honey and coconut oil.
- Extraction: For this you can use an extraction tool or your fingers. For better results steam your face once more before extracting. Grab your tool and apply gentle pressure in a downward motion then swipe off the puss with a q-tip. Make sure you leave stubborn blackheads alone. You MUST be gentle in order to prevent damage to the skin which could leave you with redness and discoloration.
- Nose Strips: You can also use a nose strip to get rid of your blackheads. Again start off by steaming your face then apply a nose strip for the recommended time. My favorite is the Biore Charcoal Pore Strip.
- When you are down with your extractions, make sure you apply a gentle moisturizer afterwards.